I have been told in the past that I am great friend, caring, will do anything for my friends, loyal, fun, always there if you need me…a bit like a labrador really!!
Since having kids though, I am ‘just a bit crap’.
Here a few of the things that define my slight crap-ness;
- This year, I bought some really beautiful Christmas cards that you colour in yourself. But then I didn’t get round to colouring them in. So I didn’t give anything out at all. Crap!
- I say; “I’ll call you back.” and then I don’t. Sometimes for weeks. It genuinely isn’t that I don’t love and care for you, it’s just that the minute I put my phone down, my brain is instantly swamped by whatever reason I hung up for, kids running too close to the edge of the road, massive fight beginning, juice river across the table and I just can’t retain as much information as I used to so I totally forgot what I was doing before said incident. Today I forgot that I was halfway through an online order for about 10 minutes as I got distracted!
- I don’t text people back for the same reasons as above. it’s also so damn hard to reply to texts out and about, not that we use the buggy much anymore but trying to text and steer one handed was a nightmare with the buggy veering off left right and centre, and now it’s traumatic trying to stop one or the other child meeting certain death in the road on their two wheels of doom! Then by the time I get home, I’ve forgotten!
- I often forget to post things for birthdays, including cards, and Christmas. I forget to order things even. And occasionally I forget to simply text. I am SO sorry. I absolutely promise you it’s not that I don’t love you dearly and it’s not that I’m not thinking about you, it’s just that I’m thinking about something else at that minute, and I’m finding that my brain is getting more and more useless at retaining multiple stands of information. What this week’s show and tell is going to be takes up far more space then it should! (Although I’m often still a bit crap at that, on week, for A and D, I chucked a key ring at her on our way out the door, it was A Dog!)
- I often forget things. Really important stuff like significant dates, job interviews, children’s milestones. I always feel terrible when I see something flag up on my whatsapp or facebook and all these super organised remember-y friends posting messages of support or congratulations and feel extra crap. Especially if I’m checking my fb late at night and my crapness is by then so obvious! Then I vow to send a card to make up for it. And we all know what happens there!!
This is by no means a comprehensive list, there are many more ways in which my crap-ness shines through but hopefully now that the kids are getting older and not requiring so much care and attention, I will be back to the land of the labradors, and thank you so much if you’ve put up with this and stuck with me so far, you know who you are, I promise to make it up to you. You know, on some unspecified date in the future!!
The good news is that I am finally emerging, slightly stunned and blinking in the light of normalcy. I’ve even bought a diary, and for once in forever, I’m actually writing stuff in it. And then actually looking at it! This is enormous progress.
Now I just need to find that birthdays book I had and transfer them all to it. I am sure I saw it recently. Within the last year anyway. Or at least since we moved house. Didn’t I?! 😀
So in conclusion, I am just sorting out my shizzle, but if I’m still a bit pants, I’m so sorry, I will be back one day. Properly back, with all the cards on time and everything! Except maybe not Christmas, I’ve always been a bit rubbish at getting them out on time! I’ve decided I’m going to start colouring those gorgeous ones in now, they might get done then!!