I suck at being classy! Really badly. My lovely Mum did not have a wealthy upbringing but raised on books like Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice she became a very classy lady who minds her ps and qs, wears beautiful clothing in tones of fawn and heather and knows which fork to use first in a fancy dinner.
I on the other hand, well, I’m a bit rubbish at it! Here are 10 ways in which I fail to be a refined young woman!
- Loving a variety of teas. This seems to be a prerequisite to being refined going for afternoon tea, one should enjoy a variety of delicious teas to perfectly compliment their cucumber sandwich. Now I LOVE tea, and afternoon tea, especially the cake, but I like my tea of the builder’s variety and have to leave the bag in when it’s English Breakfast! 😀
- Always looking immaculate. A classy lady will always wear nice clothes and try to stay clean. I am often covered in mud and wearing a hoody with unbrushed hair!
- Making sure that outfits go. You can have your colours done to find out which tones suit you and which you should avoid. I look like I fell through a rainbow and often have a dinosaur/unicorn/slogan on my t-shirts!
- Not swearing. I don’t swear on my blog and try not to in front of my children but I am awful when I am away from young ears. Awful!
- Being quiet. Proper ladies seem to speak in low mellifluous tones, I am often shouting or laughing way too loudly.
- Eating tiny portions. On the few occasions that I have been to posh restaurants, I have had to stop for chips on the way home after!
- Liking fancy food. I hate it! Smears of this and foams of that, it’s just weird, stop it!
- Knowing what’s in your veg box. We get a veg box to feel better about the amount of takeaways we seem to end up eating. Usually I have to google at least one item in there and there is always something that has to be thrown out as I don’t know what to do with it and leave it in the fridge for too long!
- Gardening. Whilst I would love to garden and often have really good goes at it, I am utterly rubbish and struggle to keep anything alive apart from weeds, which seem to flourish under my (non!) care. I also end up with dirt under my nails for at least a week after!
- Keeping the house nice. I’ve written before about why I’m a terrible housewife and it is seriously true. Never mind being cracking at interior design and having a house worthy of a magazine spread, I can’t even keep the kitchen tidy for one day! The panic that a visit that hasn’t been prearranged can incite in me is legendary!
So there you have it, I know how to be refined, I even sound refined on the phone (if my multiple accents don’t slide in!), but with my pink hair, various tattoos and mug of builders’ tea in hand, I really do suck at being classy and I will never be the Jane Austen extra that my Mum should have ended up with for a daughter! Not that she minds though, I think she quite enjoys the raised eyebrows when we go to posh hotels! 😀