Blackberry and apple crumble cupcakes are one of our favourite things to make. We foraged the blackberries and are incredibly lucky to have a teeny tiny tree in our garden that produces amazing apples.
This recipe is incredibly easy and a firm favourite with my little sous chefs as they get to help a lot and get their hands in there, something they love!
- 6oz/170g Butter (I use real butter but I know margarine works too, you could substitute for coconut oil as well but I’ve not tried that in this recipe.)
- 6oz/170g Caster sugar
- 6oz/170g Self raising flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 4 large Apples. (We used cooking.)
For the crumble
- 100g/4oz plain Flour
- 50g/2oz Butter, cubed
- 50g/2oz Sugar (from what I can gather, it should be Demerara sugar but I use caster!)
- Pre-heat your oven. Obviously this can vary greatly from oven to oven, but I set our fan oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas Mark 4)
- Lay out a muffin tray. Fill with paper cases.
- Add 4 blackberries to each case.
- Cream your butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and flour to the butter and sugar mix together, along with the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Peel, and then grate the apples into a clean bowl, leaving the core, watch little fingers here.
- Pour out the excess juice. (We made a crumble as well so poured the juice into the fruit for that.)
- Add the grated apple to the mix and stir in.
- In a separate bowl, place the flour, butter and sugar.
- Rub together until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Fill each blackberry filled case just over half way with the cake batter.
- Add a generous handful of the crumble mix on top.
- Place cupcakes into the oven, middle shelf.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the top of the cakes turn golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
- Devour! Possibly even with some custard!
You can experiment with flavours for these, apple and raspberry, apple and cinnamon, anything you’d put in a crumble really! Don’t forget to pin it for future reference if you are on pinterest too. 🙂 Let me know if you try the blackberry and apple crumble cupcakes! What suggestions do you have for flavour combinations?